Employers now have more reasons to hire a new apprentice or support a trainee following news that the government are boosting the incentives paid to employers.
As announced in the Chancellor’s spring budget, from 1 April 2021 employers will be paid £3,000 for each new apprentice they hire, regardless of their age, and £1,000 for each trainee they support. These incentives have now been extended and are available to employers for any new starts until 31 January 2022.
For apprentices, this is on top of the £1,000 payment provided for hiring new apprentices aged 16 to 18 and those aged 19-24 with an Education, Health and Care Plan, meaning that some employers could receive £4,000 in total.
In announcing these new incentives, the Chancellor Rishi Sunak said, “Our Plan for Jobs has spread opportunity and hope throughout the crisis – helping people back into work and harnessing their talents for the future. We know there’s more to do and it’s vital this continues throughout the next stage of our recovery, which is why I’m boosting support for these programmes, helping jobseekers and employers alike.”
Commenting on the latest announcements Kathryn Baker, CEO at SS&L said, “I very much welcome the Chancellor’s latest announcements, which will further boost the opportunities available through the traineeship and apprenticeship schemes. Furthermore, it is great to hear that the support will be extended to employers taking on apprentice’s right through to January, extending the support into 2022.”
Support for traineeships
- Under the latest incentives, the government will pay an employer £1,000 for every work placement provided for a trainee for any placement completed until July 2022.
- Traineeships are available to those aged 16-24 with a qualification of Level 3, (A Level equivalent), and below.
- Taking someone on as a trainee, often leads to them becoming an apprentice. This could provide an employer with the additional resource they need, the opportunity for mentoring within the business and would offer a young person the chance to gain valuable work experience and kick-start their career.
Learn more about what SS&L offer, meet our team and hear the traineeship success stories on our traineeships page.
Support for apprenticeships
- Under the latest incentives, the government will pay an employer £3,000 for every new apprentice who joins their workforce from 1 April until 31 January 2022, regardless of the apprentice’s age. This is in addition to the £1,000 available to employers who hire a 16-18 year old.
- Apprenticeships provide a job with training and typically last between 12 -18 months and are available to anyone aged 16 or over.
- Apprentices bring fresh perspective and new skills to businesses, giving employers an opportunity to grow their own talent.
These new incentives provide even more reason to encourage fresh talent into your workplace.
Find out more about how apprenticeships can benefit your business and hear employer stories on our apprenticeship page.
How we can support your organisation
We offer a free recruitment service. Watch this short video to discover how we can help find your new apprentice or trainee:
Ready to find out more about taking on a trainee or apprentice?
Our experienced, knowledgeable and friendly team will advise and support you every step of the way. Call us on 0330 332 7997, email us at email@example.com or start a live chat below to find out how we can help you support and develop your workforce.