Is your organisation supporting a trainee? This straightforward guide will ensure you understand how to apply for and receive your incentive payment.
WHAT IS THE INCENTIVE PAYMENT FOR SUPPORTING A NEW TRAINEE?
When you provide a trainee work placement for over 70 hours, you can apply for extra funding to support your organisation once the placement is completed. Each placement is set up to suit learner needs, depending on how close they are to gaining paid employment. A typical work experience placement usually lasts more than 70 hours and averages at around 200 hours over the 6 month traineeship journey.
The new payment of £1,000 per trainee is available for up to 10 trainees per employer, who have started and completed their traineeship.
WHAT CAN THE PAYMENT BE USED FOR?
The incentive payment can be spent on anything to support your organisation’s costs. And you don’t have to pay it back. The government would like it to be used to support current and future placements. For example, some businesses use it to pay for CSCS cards or DBS searches.
HOW AND WHEN DO I APPLY?
The payment can be claimed for eligible placements that take place and are completed from 1 September 2020 up to and including 31 July 2022. Please do not apply for the payment until we advise you that you’ve met the eligibility criteria and provide you with the information required for the application.
- The payment comes directly from the government and there is a government website portal to submit your claim. We will provide you with this link when it is time to claim.
- We need to complete the placement on a system before the claim can be submitted. This is different to apprenticeships where the claim can be submitted as soon as the apprentice has started.
- The placement must be complete by July 2022.
Before you start your claim application
- You must have the unique learner number (ULN) and work placement postcode for all trainees you are claiming the employer incentive payment for. This will be provided to you by us once the work placement has been completed.
- If you have previously registered for the employer incentive payments or apprenticeship incentive payment, you will need to provide your vendor registration number.
HOW CAN SS&L HELP?
We offer a free trainee recruitment service to employers and our experienced, knowledgeable and friendly team will advise and support you every step of the way. Call us on 0330 332 7997, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or start a live chat below to find out how we can help you support and develop your workforce.